Splinters

Random writings from a father, husband, web developer, artist, and writer.

Friday, June 11, 2004

Random: Reagan, Shrek, Velvet et al

A little random today, but then again it is Friday in my part of the world - or at least in my head.

I highly recommend the album Contraband by Velvet Revolver if you are a previous Stone Temple Pilots fan. - This is Scott Weiland's new band which consists basically of him and Guns N Roses minus Axl, but it shows how much of STP's sound originated from Weiland.

Still, my vote for favorite album in the last 12 months would be AudioSlave. Chris Cornell has the best pipes in the rock biz, and the music is great. Oddly enough, they are another hybrid band, Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine.

Today is the National Day of Mourning for former President Ronald Reagan in the U.S.
Being a guvment contractor, I still have to work even though the Base across the street is closed today, but the whole shindig of Reagan's formalities are being broadcast. I've been more impressed with the last few days events that have happened around his casket than what's transpiring right now: Namely, Dick Cheney's speech was pretty powerful at points, Nancy's grace, the handless soldier saluting, and Mikhail showing up, port-wine stain and all,-- I thought he'd died a few years back, so imagine my surprise.

Sadly, Ray Charles has passed also. I held my own personal tribute to him this morning by playing Blues In a Sentimental Key over the 'phones while coding.

Wife and I took the kids to see Shrek 2 the other day. I loved the first one, and would have to watch the first and second concurrently to honestly judge which I enjoyed more. Yes, it's that good. And the wizardry of Pixar's artists,.. superb. The lighting and setting of some of the scenes were very inspirational, and could be used in classes that teach animation. The detail they finessed out of each scene was amazing. You could attempt to do a thread count on the blanket in Fiona's bedroom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home